Thursday, October 11, 2007

Dampen

On a wet, rainy day, with an umbrella, I stood at the pedestrian crossing waiting. Around me, students with their colourful umbrellas and a caucasian lady. After much thought I moved forward, offering to share my umbrella with her. What she retorted next, startled me. " It's only rain. I like walking in the rain." I was stumped. The lights turned, she breezed ahead leaving me feeling silly. Now, if a compliment should be accepted graciously why can't an offer be taken gratefully?

3 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

You are right. There is no need to be turn down the offer like that. A polite, "thanks but I dont mind walking in the rain" would have sufficed!!

These are the people that enjoy spoiling others' day

Anonymous said...

Someone once said something lidat to me too, I told the person who was planning to go out that it looks like it might rain so maybe take umbrella and she brush me off saying, rain oni lar kenot die wan.

iml said...

SAHM:
You are right. So hard to be nice and helpful.
Firehorse:
Some people are so blunt. Are they?