Friday, October 09, 2009

Giving In

New neighbour has two adorable boys, 3 & 4. One was sobbing incessantly last evening just because he could not get his way. Taking the elavator instead of the stairs as instructed. Chatted with mum briefly this morning on the way out, and she related. Golden rule of disciplining children, never give in to tantrum.
For the first 10 years as a parent, I held the same belief.

Probably, older, been through, done that, after bring up 3 children of different character and temperament, I now think otherwise.
I am no guru nor are my children angels nor demons but, I am sure, if I had dealt with situations better, growing up would be less stressful/frustrated for both child and parent.
There is no right or wrong, but this is the beginning of learning to give and take, compassion and empathy.

1 comment:

stay-at-home mum said...

what works for one child doesnt work for others. Parenting is such a challenge.