Thursday, August 31, 2006

Yummy keratin

Horrors!!! in the health section of the papers today, biting nails to ease boredom, anxiety or sheer comfort can lead to losing a finger.
This happens when bacteria creeps into the nock and crany of the broken jagged nails. Invades broken skin around the nail.
Telltale signs includes
Redness, Warmth, Swelling and Pain.
Hand infection such as necrotising fasciitis, starts as a skin infection and spreads and spreads resulting in skin loss. Skin grafting may be required or worst amputation.
My son is an insistent nail biter!!! What am I going to do? *sigh*

6 comments:

Las montañas said...

I would use the traditional method. Smear cut chilli on the fingers!

Carolie said...

Yes, my father would dip my fingertips in hot pepper vinegar, or something really nasty to keep me from biting them. But then I would forget, and rub my eye, and it would hurt so much!

What finally cured me? Wearing clear nail polish! But I guess that might not work for your son...

c a r c a r said...

arh.. i remember one of my ger fren here has this bad habit too... for many yrs i think.

but just not long ago she show me her long finger nail excitedly!! she quit this bad habit thou!

can be done!!

Chris Sim said...

Heh. I agree with Las Montanas. Smearing it with chilli sure works. I did the same for my kid who refused to give up his pacifier when he was at 3 years of old. It's the same principle, Liling! LOL.

iml said...

L Montanas:
Tried that when he was 4 years old. He stoppped for a while then started again. Esp when he is nervous ):

Carolie:
This might work on my other one, my 9 year old daugther. After reading the article to both of them, they are now trying very hard to curb this habit. I hope this scarce message works.

Carcar:
Aha, when girls want to paint their nails, they will drop this habit.

Chris:
LOL!!!! I just cut up the pacifier and gave it back to him. He was very very upset ):

Las montañas said...

ok, then must try the shocking effect. Show him all the pictures of gangrenous fingers.. tell him about bacteria.. the bad bad bacteria that can eat flesh! Do it very very frequently whether he chews on nails or not. Children these days are intelligent and can reason well.