Monday, December 18, 2006

Bonding


Recently in the papers, fathers are encouraged to drive their children to school. To strenghten that already fragile father and child bonding. Striking a conversation with your child while trying to rush through traffic and avoid bumping into weaving impatient drivers. Being able to communicate with each other is the 1st step to a better understanding of the child's take on this ever changing society.
Well, it does not work. I should know. Dad drove me to school during my secondary school years. The air was tense while dad inch his way through the jam. I would keep very quiet so as not to distract his attention. My heart would thump harder on days that I was late. Through no fault of mine but the traffic of course.
The same scenerio is repeated in present day as MDH drives the children to school. Most of the time the two teenagers have their ears plugged in or catnapping.
Truly not a time to listen, reflect or advise.
On the contrary, action speaks louder than words.
Spending time wrapping the child's textbooks and writing their names for them on all the textbooks and exercise books is one way my dad showed his pride for his children.
Personal touch goes a long way.
In keeping with tradition, I have taken the task of wrapping my children's books. Phew!!! two more stacks to go.

2 comments:

Chris Sim said...

I tried making conversation with my boy while driving him to school each morning. But he only makes mono-syllabic answer. And I could hardly made out what he was talking sometimes, esp when his voice started to crack. I gave up sometimes. Ha.

iml said...

Chris
It's the same over here. But I am still trying very hard. I now listen and only contribute to the conversation on agreeable topics. Otherwise I keep silence.