Friday, November 30, 2007

Lasik

Catching up with the past week's news. Glad I did. Not a day goes by without seeing an advertisment on Lasik eye surgery. The advertisment gives the impression that it's normal. fast easy and Every shortsighted person has done it. The eye, window to our soul. The sense that can moves us to tears or tickle us pink. It's plain horror to see ophthalmologists treating this operation so nonchalantly. What are they thinking? Whatever happen to their conscience? The hippocratic Oath?
What is not reported is, the 2% Lasik operation that have gone very wrong. Had considered this op not too long ago as my eyesight has been deteriorating with age. But am I ready to put my eyes under the knife and pray hard that I'll be in the 98% category?

7 comments:

doc said...

i have been myopic since 12 & have never even considered contact lens; so lasik is definitely out of the question for me, as i consider it unnecessary.

but that's just my opinion.

stay-at-home mum said...

Considered it some time ago - for vanity reasons. But you notice, most docs still wear specs? My doc friend says too risky. Dont do it. so I am still 4 eyes!

iml said...

Doc
Opinion welcomed. Must admit advertisments is sometimes a very powerful persuasive tool.

SAHM
Thanks for the advise. From one, 4 eye friend to another!

stay-at-home mum said...

Wah, no posts for so long. U went for lasik, ah?

iml said...

SAHM
Thank you for your concern. December is always a busy time. Spring cleaning of the soul and the house! Know of any good optician around? Need to get my eyes checked!

stay-at-home mum said...

There is one that I like at the Arcade (Raffles Place) on the 2nd floor. Its called something Isaacs. The lady that does the eye check is good. Qualified optician - a Ms Ong (or is it Wong) - sorry, ah. Getting old. you need not buy your specs there if you dont want, but you will have to pay for the eye check then - some $30 if I the price has not increased. I have not been there for some 2 years already.

iml said...

SAHM
Thank you for the information. Will take a trip down soon.